Founded by Heart for Change and the Colombian National Ministry of Education, the English Teaching Fellowship Program (ETF) is a social initiative that helps bring qualified English teachers to Colombian public schools and institutions with the intent to build a bilingual Colombia.
- Monthly stipend of 1.5 Million Colombian Pesos*
- Full orientation including accommodation and meals
- Domestic flight from Bogota to placement location
- Shared accommodation during first month of placement (after this participants will need to arrange their own accommodation)
- Assistance finding housing from local coordinators
- Co-teaching role and so you will work with a local Colombian teacher
- Teach at local middle, high schools and universities
- Visa provided by program
- Colombian health insurance
- All public holidays
- 24/7 support team to assist you in Colombia
- Latest Edition Lonely Planet E Guide to Colombia
- Choose from a 5, 6 or 11 month placement
*Average local salary in Colombia is around 640.000 COP and so you can live comfortably on this stipend.
- Start: January, March or June 2016
- Finish: 5, 6 or 11 month contract as from above start date options
- For January start – November 2015
- For March start – January 2016
- For June start- April 2016
Upon approval of placement, successful candidates are required to pay a deposit of $400. Your program deposit payment demonstrates your commitment to the ETF Program, Colombia. This commitment helps the local support staff to plan their resources and ensure you have the best possible experience when you arrive in Colombia.
The deposit is fully refundable by SENA or the Ministry Of Education Colombia upon completion of contract.
The deposit is non-refundable if the teacher decides to cancel or withdraw from the program at any time and for any reason.
- Fluent English speakers
- Bachelor’s or Associates degree in any discipline
- 21-55 years old
- TEFL/TESOL certification preferred – Sign up for your TEFL course here
- Cultural sensitivity
- Community minded
- International Insurance (required by program) – please note, our recruitment partner can provide assistance in obtaining the International Insurance for Colombia
There are locations throughout Colombia including:
Armenia, Barranquilla, Bello, Bogotá, Bucaramanga, Cajicá, Cali, Cartagena, Chía, Cúcuta, Dosquebradas, Duitama, Envigado, Floridablanca, Girardot, Girón, Ibaqué, Itagüí, Manizales, Mosquera, Neiva, Pasto, Pereira, Piedecuesta, Popayán, Rionegro, Sabaneta, Santa Marta, Tunja, Villa de Leyva.
The ETF provides a safe, supportive and fun environment for TEFL teachers to grow both professionally and personally. Teaching English in Colombia alongside experienced local co-teachers, allows you to gain priceless teaching experience in Government schools whilst also gaining a deeper insight into Colombian life and culture!
You will teach around 25 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
Almost 50% of participants on this program opt to extend their placement!
Quickly becoming one of the most sought-after destinations for TEFL teachers, Colombia has every South American wonder imaginable. From beautiful coastlines skirted by the Caribbean Sea, to hillsides full of some of the best coffee plantations in the world, teaching English in Colombia is a truly life-changing experience! As the largest economy in South America, Colombia is both modern and traditional, perfect for those who want to experience the authentic South American lifestyle in well-developed cities and towns. Are you ready for one of South America’s most spectacular destinations?.
- 100s of testimonials (contact us to see)
- Receive free expert consultation to decide if teaching in Colombia is right for you
- Our recruitment partner has over 8 years of recruitment experience for international TEFL jobs
- Full support through the application and visa process
- Dedicated support staff comprising of former TEFL teachers
Your mentor should be able to help you with both the pedagogical and logistical aspects of working in your EI, including lesson planning, classroom management, grading and attendance policies, etc.
Upon arrival in Colombia, you will officially get the visa at the local immigration office.
Teach children, teenagers or adults at government schools throughout Colombia. Full two week orientation in Bogota with free accommodation, airport pickup, domestic flight from Bogota to placement location, monthly stipend of 1.5 Million Colombian Pesos and Colombian national health insurance. Start January, March or June 2016.
Select Colombia below!